Saturday, March 8, 2014

Dia de las mujeres

It is actually HOT in Viña today, very surprising. Up into the 80s, which I understand is quite unusual here. So I believe I may take advantage, and go to the beach on this lovely International Woman's Day. I hope everyone out there is being nice to the women in their lives, and women, go have some fun!

Yesterday, Joel stayed out of school because we'd planed on getting his paperwork in for his cédula (identity card). But surprise! The office opened at 8, not 9, and there must have been about 300 people ahead of us. Many places (stores, government offices) have take a number system, which keeps things orderly. But there was no way I was going to wait 4 or 5 hours. Plus, I saw a sign that said they'd be open today in the morning from 9-1. So we showed up at 9, and there were 47 people ahead of Joel and I. It only took 1 hour and 50 minutes.

So here is a selection of photos of the walk that Joel and I took on Friday, instead of turning in his paper work.

 A church on the corner of Alvarez and Grove, in case you want to visit someday. Or walk down the street virtually, in maps.google street view.











A charming house across Grove street from the church-looks kind of European, doesn't it, with the hotel? I cropped the modern building to the left almost all the way out.

Our first funicular (inclined plane railroad). There are 15 or so of these in Valparaíso, which are over 100 years old. This one was much newer, down a side street between the Civil Registry office and our place. I think it was put in in the 60s. Joel said "this is NEW?" There was a nice, quiet neighborhood at the top, where we strolled around for a while, marveling at how quiet it was. Joel said he liked the quiet better. I do too.
On the way down, a nice view. Of both Joel and Viña.

No comments:

Post a Comment